One of the hardest things for me to do is sit still. From a young age, I have been conditioned to always be moving and learning at a fast pace. If I am not doing something, then I am being lazy. But since graduating and starting the next phase of my life during a pandemic, being still is now part of life. Working from home, quarantining, less interactions with friends, and business closures have thrust me into a daily routine that moves much slower than what I have been used to. With all that being said, I thought I would share my daily routine for those interested in maybe joining the service corps or are just curious about life in the Sycamore House during a pandemic.
- It is very hard for me to wake up. If I could sleep till noon, I would.
- My favorite spot in the house is a flower chair that sits next to a window in the living room. Every morning, I drink my coffee and eat my breakfast in the chair while looking out at the Susquehanna river. It is such a peaceful and comfy place to start my day.
- My placement is with the PA Council of Churches as a political advocacy staffer. My day is filled with zoom meetings, emails, developing projects, and partnering with various non-profits across the state. I typically set up my laptop and work in the living room or bedroom. One of the benefits of working from home, is that you get to wear your pjs most of the day.
- My favorite part of the day is having the chance to go to CrossFit 717. I joined the gym over the summer, and it has allowed me to make some close friendships and get fit. The gym is a very important element of my self-care routine and allows me to step away from a screen, release stress, and interact with other people.
- In college I sometimes made dinner but had the comfort of a meal plan but since graduating, I have had to learn to cook more on a regular basis. At first I was hesitant, but I have since really enjoyed learning about food and different recipes. My favorite cooking activity is baking treats. You can ask my fellow housemates, it’s not uncommon for me to be making cookies at 10PM.
8PM-11PM: Netflix and Bedtime
- Besides the gym, my favorite thing to do is watch tv and movies. I love starting new shows or watching a critically acclaimed film. As a house, we enjoy watching different tv series and movies together. Our last show and movie were The Queen Gambit and Borat.
- One of my goals for 2021 is to start going to bed earlier because I have a bad habit of watching Netflix till midnight.
- Hopefully, I am asleep by 11PM and getting well rested to start the next day.